Adore hair dye is gaining popularity as one of the leading hair dye brands on the market. For those looking to achieve stunning hair color results, it’s essential to understand how to use Adore hair dye effectively. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll provide you with all the information you need to master Adore hair dye and achieve your desired hair color.
What Is Adore Hair Dye?
Adore is a line of hair dyes produced by Creative Image Systems, a renowned manufacturer of salon-quality hair products. Adore hair dye comes in three varieties, each with a specific purpose:
- A semi-permanent direct dye that delivers high-impact color to natural hair and human hair wigs.
- Formulated without harsh ingredients such as peroxide, drying alcohols, and ammonia.
- Offers a wide range of colors, from natural shades to vibrant fashion colors.
- Lasts up to 20 washes.
- A gentler semi-permanent hair dye compared to Adore’s regular semi-permanent dye.
- Formulated with hair-loving ingredients like vitamin E, jojoba oil, and aloe vera.
- Available in a variety of natural-looking shades.
- Suitable for those with sensitive scalps or compromised hair.
- Lasts up to 20 washes.
- A permanent box dye that provides professional-quality results lasting approximately 6 to 8 weeks.
- Contains relatively harsh ingredients, including peroxide, ammonia, and PPD.
- Lifts the hair cuticle to allow the dye to penetrate each hair strand.
Note: Adore hair dyes should not be used on eyebrows or eyelashes as they can cause eye damage. In case of contact with eyes, rinse thoroughly with water and seek medical assistance if irritation occurs.
Do You Need To Use A Developer With Adore Hair Dye?
Whether you need a developer with Adore hair dye depends on the specific type of Adore hair dye you have purchased:
- If you have Adore Semi-Permanent or Adore Plus Semi-Permanent hair dye, you do not need a developer.
- If you opt for Adore Permanent hair dye, a developer is required. Fortunately, the developer is typically included in the box kit.
How To Use Adore Hair Dye
Now that you are familiar with the types of Adore hair dye, let’s dive into how to use each of them effectively. The instructions may vary depending on the specific Adore hair dye you choose.
Adore and Adore Plus Semi-Permanent Hair Dye
Adore semi-permanent dyes are user-friendly, and here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use them:
Perform a Skin Allergy Test:
- Two days before dyeing your hair, apply a small amount of dye to the inside of your elbow.
- Wait 48 hours and observe any signs of skin irritation. If irritation occurs, do not use the dye on your hair.
Examine Your Scalp:
- Ensure that your scalp is not injured or irritated. Using the dye on a compromised scalp may worsen the condition.
Gather Your Supplies:
- You will need the dye, a plastic mixing bowl, clarifying shampoo, a tinting brush, a comb, Vaseline (or a protective cream), clips, a plastic cap, and optional towels.
Shampoo Your Hair:
- To ensure optimal dye adhesion, start with clean hair. Use a clarifying shampoo and dry your hair with a microfiber towel.
Protect Your Hairline:
- Apply Vaseline or a protective cream around your hairline, the tops of your ears, and the nape of your neck. Be careful not to get it on your hair.
Mix and Apply the Dye:
- Pour the dye into a mixing bowl and briefly mix it with your tinting brush.
- Divide your hair into 4 to 6 sections and secure each section with clips.
- Apply the hair dye section by section with the tinting brush, starting ⅛ inch from your scalp.
- After application, comb through your hair to ensure even distribution of the product.
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap and allow the color to process for up to 15 minutes for Adore and 25 minutes for Adore Plus.
- You can enhance color longevity by sitting under a hooded dryer.
- Take your time to thoroughly rinse your hair.
- Shampoo your hair to remove any remaining dye. Use a moisturizing shampoo; a clarifying shampoo is not necessary for this step.
Dip Dye Method for Human Hair Wigs and Extensions
If you’re dyeing wigs, closures, or bundles, follow these steps:
Mix the Dye:
- Dispense one bottle of Adore hair dye into about 32 ounces of hot water.
- Mix the dye and water thoroughly with a plastic spoon.
Dip the Hair:
- Submerge the hair in the dye-water mixture.
Agitate the Hair:
- Carefully move the hair around in the water to ensure an even color result.
Rinse and Shampoo:
- After up to 5 minutes, remove the hair from the mixture and shampoo it.
- You may need multiple bottles of dye to treat an entire wig or three bundles and a closure.
Adore Permanent Hair Dye
For Adore Permanent hair dye, the instructions differ slightly:
- Avoid using Adore hair dyes if your hair or scalp is compromised, or if you have open sores, uncontrolled rashes, or natural scalp sensitivity. Using the dye in such conditions could exacerbate issues.
- Two days before dyeing your hair, mix a small amount of hair color and developer and apply it to the inside of your elbow.
- After 48 hours, check for skin irritation. If your skin becomes red, irritated, or itchy, refrain from using the dye on your hair.
Strand Test (Optional):
- To get a preview of the final hair color, perform a strand test:
- Cut a small section of your hair and apply some tape to one end.
- Mix the hair dye as per the kit’s instructions and apply it to the hair strand.
- Wait for the color to process (up to 18 minutes), checking the strand periodically.
- Rinse and air-dry the hair strand to see the final color result.
Shampoo Your Hair:
- Shampoo your hair 24 hours before dyeing it.
Section Your Hair:
- Divide your hair into sections using a wide-toothed comb or your fingers and secure each section with clips.
Mix the Dye:
- Mix equal parts of hair dye and developer using the materials provided in the kit. The mixture should be smooth.
Apply the Dye:
- For a full head application, apply the dye section by section, and then apply it to the rest of your hair.
- Comb through your hair to ensure even coverage.
- For a touch-up, apply the dye only to the new growth, avoiding previously colored hair.
Set a Timer:
- Depending on whether your hair is gray or non-gray, set a timer for the appropriate processing time:
- 7-8 minutes for non-gray hair.
- 17 to 18 minutes for gray hair.
Rinse, Shampoo, and Condition:
- After the allotted time, rinse the dye from your hair.
- Shampoo your hair using your regular shampoo, followed by the included conditioner packet.
- If your hair feels exceptionally dry, consider using a deep conditioner.
By following these steps, you can use Adore hair dye effectively and achieve the desired hair color with confidence.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use Adore hair dye on eyebrows or eyelashes?
No, Adore hair dyes should not be used on eyebrows or eyelashes as they can cause eye damage. If the dye comes into contact with your eyes, rinse them thoroughly with water and seek medical assistance if irritation occurs.
How long does Adore semi-permanent hair dye last?
Adore semi-permanent hair dye can last up to 20 washes.
Do I need a developer for Adore semi-permanent hair dye?
No, you do not need a developer for Adore semi-permanent hair dye. It is ready to use as is.
How can I enhance the longevity of Adore hair dye colors?
Sitting under a hooded dryer during the processing time can help the color last longer.
Can Adore hair dyes be used on sensitive scalps?
Adore Plus Semi-Permanent hair dye is formulated with ingredients like vitamin E, jojoba oil, and aloe vera, making it suitable for people with sensitive scalps.
Mastering the use of Adore hair dye is made easier with this comprehensive guide. Whether you choose the semi-permanent or permanent option, following the proper steps and taking precautions will help you achieve stunning and long-lasting hair color results.